09 November 2015
Dessert with Dad
Attention all Dads (or special person)! Bring your kid(s) back to school on Thursday, December 3 from 7-8 PM and enjoy an ice cream sundae. In order to prevent long lines, we ask that Dads arrive in the cafeteria according to your last name - A through M arrive at 7:00 and N through Z arrive at 7:15. Please RSVP with the Dessert with Dad flyer by Tuesday, November 24. The book fair will be open during this event so be sure to look for a special book in the Media Center while you're here.
04 November 2015
The MCPS Superintendent recommended option #1, which keeps Gibbs ES assigned to Rocky Hill Middle School. The Board of Education is responsible for making the final decision and is holding a public meeting on November 12 at 7 PM at the
Carver Educational Services Center (CESC), 850 Hungerford Drive, Rockville, MD 20850. Information on speaking at the meeting can be found at http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/boe/community/participation.aspx
and the Superintendent's boundary report is at http://gis.mcpsmd.org/cipmasterpdfs/Supp_A_ClarksburgDamascusMSBoundary.pdf
. The BOE's decision will be made on November 16.
16 September 2015
Boundary Changes for Gibbs ES Update
The Clarksburg/Damascus Boundary Study is still underway for Gibbs ES and all 7 of the boundary options are still possible. It is important for us to continue to let MCPS know what we want for our community. Here's what we still need to do:
- On or before October 1 we need to write letters to MCPS's Superintendent and our Board of Education representative. Please bring your letters for MCPS's Superintendent and our District 1 Board of Education representative to the PTA table at the September 15 or 17 Back to School Nights. The PTA will collect our letters and send them to Montgomery County Public Schools.
The address for our Superintendent is: Larry Bowers, Interim SuperintendentMontgomery County Public School850 Hungerford DriveRockville, MD 20850
The address for our BOE representative is:Dr. Judy Docca, Board of Education – District 1Montgomery County Public School850 Hungerford DriveRockville, MD 20850
- Spread the word to new members of our Gibbs ES community or those who do not receive PTA messages so they are kept informed about our boundary status.
- Plan to attend the Board of Education public hearing in November. The date will likely be November 9 at 7:00 PM at the Carver Center in Rockville, MD. This date will be confirmed by MCPS later but could be changed to November 12. Please mark November 9 and November 12 on your calendar and watch for an email from Gibbs PTA, follow the MCPS website http://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/departments/planning/boundary.aspx, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to get updates.
8 September 2015
Gibbs Chess Club...it's not too late to register!
Is your child interested in playing (or learning how to play) chess? If so, register him or her in Chess Club at William B. Gibbs, Jr ES which will be held on Monday mornings from 8:15-9:15am in Room 150. The Fall session for Chess Club runs 12 weeks beginning Monday September 21st.
To register, download the attached registration form and mail it directly to C&O Family Chess Center, 217 West Diamond Avenue, Gaithersburg, MD 20877. The registration form can also be found on the Gibbs PTA website and C&O's website (under the 'scholastic' link).
Visit C&O Family Chess Center's website at www.chesscenter.net
to learn more about C&O Family ChessCenter and other chess opportunities and information.
Please feel free to contact the Gibbs PTA Chess Club Coordinator, Dana Walker, at email@example.com
, or for specific registration questions contact Carolyn Pancoast, Program Director of C&O Family Chess Center at Programs@chesscenter.net
31 Aug 2015
Welcome to the Gibbs PTA Website
Your Gibbs Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) welcomes you to the 2015-2016 school year! We are looking forward to a fabulous year serving our children and school.
Fun Family & Community Events:
And so much more!
- Kindergarten Family Welcome Night
- Fall Festival
- Dessert with Dad
- Around the World Night
- Family Bingo Night
- Gibbs Got Talent Show
- Grandparents' Tea
- Morning with Mom
- Help defray class field trip costs for each child
- Host monthly staff appreciation activities
- Create the school yerbook
- Develop the school directory
- Sponsor before and after school programs:
- Chess, FLES, Young Rembrandts, Group Piano, Big Science, Girls on the Run
PTA is a partnership among parents, principal, administration, teachers and other school staff and leaders. Together, we strive to make William B. Gibbs, Jr. the very best school possible for our children. This school year, the PTA will coordinate or financially support educational opportunities, organize fun family and community events, and much more!
- Geography Bee
- Book Fairs
- STEM Science Inquiry Conference
- Math/ESOL Night
- Scholastic News for grades 3 & 4
- National Geographic Publication for Gr K & 5
- Weekly Readers Gr PEP, PreK, 1 & 2
- ScootPad subscription
- Cultural Arts Assemblies during the school
PTA is for everyone and benefits all our students. There are many ways to support your Gibbs PTA, one of which is simply to join! Just by becoming a member of the PTA you are supporting our children and teachers in a BIG way, by helping to fund school and community events and educational material purchases with your membership dollars.
PTA membership forms will be available online and via list-serv email. We will be available at the August 28th Meet and Greet to collect membership forms, or you can return them through your child's take home folder when school begins. We will also be having a PTA membership contest this September so stayed tuned for those details!
As an all-volunteer organization we delight in offering parents opportunities to share their time and talents for the benefit of our children and school. While volunteering is not a requirement of PTA membership, if you are interested in helping out, please sign up at the August 28th Meet and Greet and at the Back to School Nights, check the box and indicate you interest on the membership form, or please email India, our PTA President, and let her know you want to help. She would love to hear from you!
PTA meetings will be held on the first Tuesday night of each month except for Dec which will be on Wednesday night due to school event conflicts. FREE childcare will be provided for children by Global Children’s Center. PTA meetings are a great opportunity to learn what is going on in school from our principal and staff, offer your input, and ask Mrs. Bosnic questions.
Your PTA executive committee is here in your service. We are eager to know you! Please feel free to contact any of us with your questions, feedback and suggestions. We are looking forward to a wonderful 2015-2016 school year.